Friday, February 3, 2017

True Passion!

Superbowl Sunday is almost upon us!! For many it’s more about the commercials than the game. Yet there will be many passionate to see anyone win but the Patriots this year. Passion is an interesting concept. I say concept because I think too many people do not know exactly what passion really is. They express enthusiasm, stating their love for pizza or brats, or as we see with the Superbowl, their allegiance to their favorite sports team. But is this real passion? Of course there are the romantic notions of love expressed, but is much of this real passion?

The English word for passion comes from the Latin word patere, which means to suffer. The Hebrew word for passion is נָ֫פֶשׁ (nephesh) which has to do with our very being, our souls. Thus passion is more than mere enthusiasm; it’s something much deeper.

True passion demands intense emotional and personal suffering
in regards to something
longed for!

I think of Rav Shaul, (the Apostle Paul), and his statement “…my sorrow is great and the anguish in my heart unending. For I would pray that I myself were cursed, banished from Messiah for the sake of my people… who are Israelites.” (Romans 9:2-4 TLV)

That’s true passion! That’s my passion! This is what drives me to get up early and work late. I want to see my Jewish people come to know who Messiah Yeshua really is!

What are you passionate about?

Forward for Messiah,

Kirk Gliebe
Rabbi & Director

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kirk,

    Thanks for your note on passion. I'm glad you provide a meaningful definition for the word, since it's starting to be overused in marketing and promotional lingo, including in the religious world. Everyone is described as "passionate" and we're supposed to have a "passion" for all sorts of different things. One of the realities of passion is that you can't be passionate about everything. In fact, it probably needs to be just one thing, right? You nailed it with Romans 9:2-4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct. To be truly passionate about something requires focused attention.

    ReplyDelete